Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year Musings

Today is New Year's eve. Somehow, I just can't get too excited about the start of another year. I know some folks get all dressed up, stay up late and really celebrate, but I just seem to be too tired to do all that anymore. I hope it's just that I still have small children at 44 yrs old.
When we got pregnant with the twins in 2001, Hal Winderweedle said to Frank "What were you thinking?!" Sometimes, I feel the same way. Don't misunderstand me, I wouldn't trade any of my children but my kids demand a lot of energy. Energy I just don't seem to have right now. But, I have learned over the years that the times I just don't have the capacity to cope are the times that the Lord uses to draw me close and teach me the things I won't hear under better circumstances. Wouldn't it be great if we could just look and learn? Not having to experience to live it out in our own life? I tell my children to listen to someone who's older and hopefully a little wiser (myself?) and learn from my experiences and mistakes. Ha! Who am I kidding? I am chief among sinners. I don't listen either. God has taken the experience of child rearing and used it as a hot house for me. Forced growth. I must say it is somewhat painful, but extremely humbling and rewarding. I have so much farther to go, but it is not as far as it used to be.

1 comment:

Debbie C. said...

Well, don't worry about not feeling like staying up late, I think it comes with the 40's and
50's and on... I don't know, I never was one to stay up late anyway. It just so happens we have children that like staying up late and have invited friends over tonight, so I may be staying up late anyway or covering my head with the pillow!! You are doing a great job with your children and I am amazed at your strength and tenacity!! God is our source of strength - keep running to Him. Love you bunches ;)